Skip to main content

Amanda out of Rocketboom: Big Lesson for Companies

Amanda on iTunes RocketboomAndrew Baron and Amanda Congdom have split.

While Amanda says that she was fired from Rocketboom, Andrew shares a different version of the story. He says that it was Amanda who decided to leave Rocketboom on her own.

Unlike other good minds, I neither know the real reason behind the split nor want to speculate anything. All I know is that Amanda's relationship with Rocketboom is over.

Amanda was a struggling actor, scanning Craigslist classifieds for a job, until Andrew Baron discovered here. The rest, as we know, is history. Rocketboom went on to become the most popular video show on the internet. They even signed deals with BoingBoing and TiVo.

Amanda was the "hot" face of Rocketboom but did anyone really heard of her before Rocketboom ? She didn't even have a text blog before that.

Amanda was paid a salary by Andrew to "act" on Rocketboom. As her clout grew, she became a partner in Rocketboom with a 49% stake. Her boss Andrew had the remaining 51% stake. Now Amanda will be replaced with another host but the show will still go on though it could dip in the popularity charts.

I think corporates who encourage employees to blog have a lot to learn from this whole episode.

Over time, as employee blogs becomes popular, the employee blogger starts to develop a fan following of his own and not for the company. And one fine day, when he achieves that iconic status in the blogosphere, he may either decide to explore more lucrative options or even become more demanding.

In short, while a company blog can give a more human face to the organization, it may also help the staff blogger find new opportunities which would otherwise remain alien to him. Scoble exit from Microsoft is also another good example of this.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Download Contacts from Facebook To Outlook Address Book

Facebook users are not too pleased with the "walled garden" approach of Facebook. The reason is simple - while you can easily import your Outlook address book and GMail contacts into Facebook, the reverse path is closed. There's no "official" way to export your Facebook friends email addresses or contact phone numbers out as a CSV file so that you can sync the contacts data with Outlook, GMail or your BlackBerry. Some third-party Facebook hacks like "Facebook Sync" (for Mac) and "Facebook Downloader" (for Windows) did allow you to download your Facebook friends' names, emails, mobile phone number and profile photo to the desktop but they were quickly removed for violation of Facebook Terms of Use. How to Download Contacts from Facebook There are still some options to take Friends data outside the walls of Facebook wall. Facebook offers the Takeout option allowing you to download all Facebook data locally to the disk (include

Digital Inspiration

Digital Inspiration is a popular tech blog by  Amit Agarwal . Our popular Google Scripts include  Gmail Mail Merge  (send personalized emails with Gmail ),  Document Studio (generate PDFs from Google Forms ) and   File Upload Forms ( receive files  in Google Drive). Also see  Reverse Image Mobile Search , Online Speech Recognition and Website Screenshots , the most useful websites on the Internet.

PhishTank Detects Phishing Websites by Digg Style Voting

OpenDNS, a free service that helps anyone surf the Internet faster with a simple DNS tweak , will announce PhishTank today. PhishTank is a free public database of phishing URLs where anyone can submit their phishes via email or through the website. The submissions are verified by the other community members who then vote for the suspected site. This is such a neat idea as sites can be categorized just based on user feedback without even having to manually verify each and every submission. PhishTank employs the "feedback loop" mechanism where users will be kept updated with the status' of the phish they submit either via email alerts or a personal RSS feed . Naturally, once the PhishTank databases grows, other sites can harness the data using open APIs which will remain free. OpenDNS would also use this data to improve their existing phishing detection algorithms which are already very impressive and efficient. PhishTank | PhishTank Blog [Thanks Allison] Related: Google